Knowing when it’s time to call a plumber in Sydney can save you not only a lot of money but also a lot of disruptions and inconvenience down the track. That’s why it’s so important to become familiar with plumbing problem warning signs now!
If you are a young, first home buyer with no experience in plumbing, a homeowner of an older inner north Sydney property, or just unsure of potential problems that may arise, this article is for you. Many plumbing issues can be caught early if you pay attention and know what to look for. However, some disasters can catch you off guard and will happen at the worst possible time. This is why it is important to know the plumbing problem warning signs that should never be ignored.
Major plumbing problems VS less urgent issues
Knowing whether or not it is a major plumbing problem or something you can sort out when you get a chance will make a huge difference. Some plumbing issues simply cannot wait and will require an emergency plumber to attend.
Common signs of plumbing problems
- Spike in water bills – A dramatic spike in your water bill without changes to justify this (ie. Filling up a swimming pool) could indicate that you have a burst pipe under the foundations of your home or a leak somewhere. It is time to start the process of elimination to work out what the cause is.
- Leaky toilet – The constant sound of running water in your toilet is not only a pain to your wallet, it also wastes a lot of water. Get this sorted ASAP.
- Low water pressure – To determine whether or not this is a more pressing plumbing problem or not, you need to check if the water flow is weak in just one location in your home or several. If only one, odds are the issue is an easy fix by replacing the faucet aerator. If water pressure is low in several areas of your home or paired with other issues such as dampness or bubbling wall paint, this indicates a much larger problem that requires the help of a qualified plumber immediately.
- Slow drainage – Just like low water pressure, if you are experiencing slow drainage in more than one location in your home it could be cause for concern. This could be a warning sign of bigger problems such as tree roots in the pipes. If the blockage is localised to one spot, you can often sort this yourself by removing the clog with a quick DIY repair.
Other things you should keep an eye out for include:
- Foul odours
- Discoloured pipes
- Bubbling paint or discoloured patches on the roof
- Spluttering tap that doesn’t resolve itself
- Knocking pipes
- Changes in toilet flush – water levels and water flow
Don’t be fooled into believing what Karen on Facebook says about vinegar, bi-carb and boiling water being the solution to fixing your plumbing problems. These plumbing problem warning signs should be handled by an experienced plumber!
Give the expert team at Gladesville Plumbing Services a call today on (02) 9817 4777 and get your plumbing problems sorted now!