Why You Should Protect Your Gutters This Autumn
When you think of autumn, you probably think of crunchy leaves of brown, gold and red falling from the nearby trees. This scene looks great in a movie but in real life, these fallen leaves can cause havoc for your gutters. Add the damp and increased rainfall and your gutters will end up in a sludgy mess if you don’t have a gutter proofing schedule. There are many problems that can be caused by blocked and damaged gutters, costing you valuable dollars. Read on for the top tips for why you should protect your gutters this autumn.
Main problems caused by blocked and damaged gutters
Gutters are far away, on top of the house, away from your eyes. Being out of sight, it is easy to forget all about them. Cleaning the gutters is one of the most important chores and here’s why:
- Blocked gutters can lead to flooding when it rains. The water fills up and overflows over the back of the gutter. The resulting damage can affect your roof and ceiling areas, walls, floors and potentially the precious contents of your home.
- Damaged gutters can increase pest infestation, including mice, snakes and possums who are looking for shelter and can enter the roof space through damaged gutters.
- The build up of debris in gutters can be a fire risk.
- Excess moisture in clogged gutters can lead to an increased risk of termites and extensive damage.
If you are aware of blockages and damage to your gutters, your insurance company may not cover the damage caused to your property. Read on for tips on how you can fix the problem before it’s too late.
Solutions for gutter proofing
The best way to steer clear of costly repairs from the above issues, is to make sure the gutters stay clean and clear. There are a few ways you can do this.
- DIY cleaning of gutters – this can be risky and time consuming.
- Professional cleaning of gutters – while a better choice, this can be costly as cleaning is required regularly and must be maintained.
- Gutter proofing – this is an inexpensive way to protect your gutters. It not only prevents blockages from leaves and debris, it also decreases the risk of gutter rust. You won’t have to do the dirty work of cleaning the gutters down the track, either, decreasing the risk of falling from heights or the costly outlay of hiring a cleaner.
Leaf proofing is vital in autumn. There’s a huge range of gutter proofing products available, including aluminium mesh and polyethylene covers. There is sure to be a product to suit your roof.
Need help with gutter proofing your home this autumn? Your local plumber in Parramatta is available to help you out.
Did you find this article helpful? Click like or share it with your friends now.